Dec 30, 2019
Second of three episodes about flashcards reveals more behind
the use of this tool for learning anatomy & physiology. The
term pseudogene may cause problems. A junk-DNA analogy. Bonus
track: Delta Wave Radio Hour.
08:10 | Sponsored by AAA
08:49 | Pseudogene Analogy
12:35 | Sponsored by HAPI
13:18 | Need Some Sleep?
18:20 | Sponsored by HAPS
19:08 | Flashcards Again
28:16 | Survey Says...
29:21 | Flashcard Learning Tricks
43:05 | More Flashcards
34:31 | Staying Connected
46:26 | Delta Wave Radio Hour (BONUS)
If you cannot see or activate the
audio player click here.
Please take the anonymous survey: theAPprofessor.org/survey
Questions & Feedback: 1-833-LION-DEN
Follow The A&P Professor on Twitter, Facebook,
Are we doing our students the best service by emphasizing the
classic definition of a pseudogene as a gene "without function?"
- Pseudogene word dissection found in Preview Episode 59
- Overcoming challenges and dogmas to understand the functions of
pseudogenes (journal perspective article from Nature Reviews
- A pseudogene structure in 5S DNA of Xenopus laevis (research
article in Cell using "pseudogene" for the first time) my-ap.us/2ZfqW2R
- Pseudogene use history in books (from Google Ngram Viewer)
- Improbable Destinies: Fate, Chance, and the Future of
Evolution by Jonathan B. Losos
Sponsored by AAA
- A searchable transcript for this episode, as well as the
captioned audiogram of this episode, are sponsored by the
American Association for Anatomy (AAA) at anatomy.org.
- Junk DNA, or pseudogenes, is a rather abstract concept for
beginning learners, so perhaps an analogy is in order.
Sponsored by HAPI Online Graduate Program
The Master of Science in Human Anatomy & Physiology
Instruction—the MS-HAPI—is a graduate program for A&P
teachers. A combination of science courses (enough to qualify you
to teach at the college level) and courses in contemporary
instructional practice, this program helps you power up your
teaching. Kevin Patton is a faculty member in this program. Check
Need Some Sleep?
Sleep science suggests that podcasts can be useful in helping us
fall asleep. This podcast may be especially useful as a safe and
effective sleep aid. Listen to this segment to find out why. If you
can stay awake for it.
- Science Supports Your Habit of Falling Asleep to Stupid
Podcasts (feature health article) my-ap.us/34GOajz
- The influence of white noise on sleep in subjects exposed to
ICU noise (study of white noise to help induce sleep) my-ap.us/34MF8BR
- Sleep With Me (podcast specifically for sleep inducement)
- Sleep Headphones Wireless, Perytong Bluetooth Sports Headband
Headphones with Ultra-Thin HD Stereo Speakers Perfect for
Sleeping,Workout,Jogging,Yoga,Insomnia, Air Travel, Meditation
Sponsored by HAPS
The Human Anatomy & Physiology Society
(HAPS) is a sponsor of this podcast. You can help
appreciate their support by clicking the link below and checking
out the many resources and benefits found there. Don't forget the
HAPS Awards, which provide assistance for participating in the HAPS
- Part of our role as teachers is to be learning therapists who
help our students diagnose barriers to learning and then develop
effective treatment plans to become better learners.
- Flashcards: Hidden Powers | Episode
- Please take about 5 minutes to answer some questions—it will
really help improve this podcast!
Flashcard Learning Tricks
- Yep, there's more about flashcards coming in the third part of
this series. Check out Episode 60 when the time comes.
- As promised, I reveal the secret of the levitating
flashcard. But the only way to access this video is by
using the TAPP app, where the bonus video resides.
- Plays episodes of this podcast
- Plus bonus material (PDF hanounds, images, videos)
- Free of charge
- Lots of great features and functionality
- Easy way to share this podcast
- Even folks who don't know how to access a podcast can download
- Getting the TAPP app
Delta Wave Radio Hour
- Need to fall asleep fast? Listen to Dr. ZZzzz drone on about
Influenza, using information from the CDC, in this popular
- Please do not drive or operate machinery while
listening to this bonus track after the episode
- Dedicated to Dic and Ellen.
If the hyperlinks here are not active, go to
TAPPradio.org to find the episode page.
Tools & Resources
Transcript and captions for this
are supported by the
also provides marketing support
for this podcast.
Distribution of this episode is
NYCC's online graduate program
Clicking on sponsor
helps let them know you
their support of this
The A&P Professor® and Lion
Den® are registered trademarks of Lion Den Inc. (Kevin